Play Therapy Certification

Play Therapy Certification Alabama - row of sharpened pencils

Looking for a Registered Play TherapistTM?

We invite you to search the Association for Play Therapy Find a Play Therapist directory.

Play Therapist Credentials

The Association for Play Therapy (APT) offers 3 types of Play Therapy credentials:

  1. Registered Play Therapist (RPT)
  2. Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor (RPT-S)
  3. School Based-Registered Play Therapist (SB-RPT)

Why Become a Registered Play Therapist?

Becoming a Registered Play Therapist (RPT) is not necessary in order to use play therapy during the treatment process.

However, when play therapy is a consistent form of intervention, consideration should be given to pursuing an RPT. Meeting the requirements of a Registered Play Therapist guarantees that the therapist has extensive and specialized training regarding the incorporation of play into the therapy process.

It also means the therapist must maintain this credentialing with continuing education. This assures the most current and innovative information in the field of play therapy is being consistently acquired by the therapist and utilized in the treatment process.

It is a highly recommended credential for those using play in therapy.

RPT or RPT-S Credential

To become an RPT and/or RPT-S (Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor), criteria must be satisfied in several areas, including:

  • Mental health licensure or certification
  • Educational degrees
  • Play therapy training
  • Supervised play therapy experience
  • Clinical experience
  • Supervisor training

For specific qualifications and requirements, visit the APT National website.

Looking for a supervisor for the play therapy credential you are seeking? Use the Find a Play Therapist link on the APT website and search for an RPT-S in your area.

SB-RPT Credential

School Based-Registered Play Therapist in Alabama

In October 2015 at the annual APT International Conference in Atlanta, a new School Based-Registered Play Therapist (SB-RPT) credential was announced to begin in January 2016.

School Based-Registered Play Therapists (SB-RPT) are school counselors or school psychologists who hold a license from their state’s department of education, and who have satisfied the criteria described in the SB-RPT Guide.

For more information about SB-RPT credentialing requirements or to submit an application, visit the APT National Website. 

Annual Renewal

All approved Registrants are required to annually renew their credential.

For specific qualifications and requirements, visit the the APT National website.