Alabama Association for Play Therapy (AAPT) presents:
Integrating Art Techniques in Play Therapy
Dance and Movement in Play Therapy
Terry Kottman, PhD, LMHC (IA), NCC, Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor
WHEN: 8:30 AM- 4:00 PM CST Friday, June 21st, 2019
WHERE: St. Vincent’s Bruno Conference Center- 810 St. Vincent’s Dr., Birmingham, AL 35205
This workshop will consist of two sessions with their own objectives.
Boogie your way into this workshop designed to explore using movement and dance as tools for building relationships with play therapy clients. Attendees will also learn how to teach clients to express themselves more fully and creatively. Attendees will be able to use dance and movement techniques to help clients learn to explore feelings, attitudes, and patterns of behavior. Furthermore, clients will learn to access their body’s wisdom, practice new ways of interacting with others, build trust, share control, increase cooperation in problem situations, and enhance their relationships with others. Attendees will go home with new activities they can use in their play therapy practice with children, adolescents, and with adults; with groups, families, and individual clients.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Use two different movements and/or dance strategies to help assess play clients, their issues, and their coping strategies.
- Describe two different movement and/or dance strategies that can be used to help play therapy clients practice more adaptive and pro-social ways of solving problems and interacting with others.
- Use two different movement and/or dance strategies for helping play therapy clients, especially tactile/kinesthetic learners, become more able to express themselves.
The focus of this fun and entertaining experiential workshop is on using drawings and art techniques to gain a better understanding of client’s perceptions of themselves at home, school, and work and to examine their relationships with family members, teachers, and peers. Attendees will explore drawing strategies that can be used as interventions, including several different styles of feeling drawings, body outlines, problem pass- around, and time lines. Other art techniques, such as Invent-a-Pet, Gremlin puppets, Mouthpiece puppets, and mandalas will round out this blast of a workshop. Attendees don’t have to have artistic talent to attend…all you have to bring is a willingness to try new things, a desire to laugh and have fun, and the ability to wear comfortable play clothes!
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Use two art techniques for building a relationship with the client in the process of play therapy.
- Use two art techniques for helping clients gain insight during the process of play therapy.
- Use two art techniques as intervention tools to help clients learn and practice more adaptive patterns of thinking, feeling, and behaving as part of the process of play therapy.
About the presenter:
Terry Kottman, Ph.D., Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor, NCC, LMHC, founded The Encouragement Zone, a center where she provides play therapy training, life coaching, “playshops” for women, and play therapy supervision. She regularly presents entertaining and engaging experiential workshops on play therapy; adventure therapy; activity-based counseling; counseling for children, adolescents, and their parents; consultation with teachers; and coaching adults. Prior to founding The Encouragement Zone, Terry spent eight years as a professor of counselor education at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa, and five years as a professor of counselor education and director of the Child and Family Resource Clinic at the University of North Texas in Denton, Texas. In 2014, Terry was honored to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association of Play Therapy. In 2017, she received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Iowa Association for Play Therapy.
Lunch: LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED from 12:00-12:45 PM. Please let us know in advance if you have dietary restrictions.
Business Meeting: Everyone is welcome to attend our bi-annual business meeting from 12:45- 1:00.
The conference will be held at St. Vincent’s Bruno
Conference Center- 810 St. Vincent’s Dr., Birmingham, AL 25205.
For more detailed directions go to: http://www.brunoconferencecenter.org/parking.asp
Workshop participants can park in the North Tower Parking Deck. Parking coupons sold at registration on the day of for $6.50. Parking can also be paid at the exit gate for $7.50. If possible, please bring cash to purchase parking vouchers.
Six Contact Hours will be awarded for a full day of attendance. No partial credit will be awarded.
- Counselors: Alabama Association for Play Therapy (AAPT) has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6211. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Alabama Association for Play Therapy is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Marriage and Family Therapists: The Alabama Board of Examiners in Marriage and Family Therapy (ABEMFT) approves courses that are NBCC approved for CE credit.
- Play Therapists: AAPT is approved by the Association for Play Therapy (APT) to offer continuing education specific to play therapy. APT Approved Provider No. 98-045.
- Social Workers: AAPT is approved by the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners (ASBSWE) to offer continuing education to social workers. ASBSWE Provider No. 0284.
REGISTER EARLY – SEATING IS LIMITED to provide room to DANCE!
Spaces are not guaranteed until your registration is processed.
June 21st On-site
AAPT/APT Member $150
Full-time Students $125
A discount of $10.00 per registrant for groups of 3 or more registering together. Please specify if registering as a group and identify group members and affiliation. Check or money order only if registering by mail. Credit Cards accepted if registering online. No Purchase orders accepted.
If you are interested in membership, please send a separate check made out to APT for dual membership in APT (Association for Play Therapy Association) and AAPT (Alabama Association for Play Therapy) along with your completed membership application. Membership applications are available online http://www.a4pt.org/default.asp?page=membership or from membership chairman Stephanie Bales, at email@example.com
Registrants canceling up to 48 hours before a workshop will receive a tuition refund less a $20 administrative fee, or if requested, a voucher good for one year for a future workshop. All requests must be made in writing or by email. No refunds issued for any reason after June 19, 2019. In the unlikely event the workshop cannot be held, registrants will receive complimentary admission to a rescheduled workshop or a full value voucher, good for one year, for a future workshop.
SPECIAL NEEDS: For special needs: Registration & CE Coordinator, Cathy Foss at firstname.lastname@example.org
For REGISTRATION questions contact: The CE and Registration Coordinators at email@example.com
For QUESTIONS about this workshop contact: Hallie Keel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay up to date on all that is happening with AAPT.
To register online, go to the conference area of the website at www.alabamaplaytherapy.org and sign up to receive emails from AAPT so you can stay up-to-date with news and announcements from AAPT!!!