AAPT is sponsoring a workshop by Hilda R. Glazer, Ed.D, RPT-S, PCC-S on January 15, 2016 titled, “Play Therapy with Grieving Children and Children of Divorce”.
Registration Dates, Deadlines & Fees
Volunteer Opportunities & Scholarships
Map, Parking, Lunch & Special Needs
Continuing Education & AAPT Membership
Play Therapy with Grieving Children and Children of Divorce
Hilda R. Glazer, Ed.D, RPT-S, PCC-S (see “About the Presenter”)
Friday, January 15, 2016
Vestavia Hills Baptist Church
2600 Vestavia Drive
Birmingham, AL 35216
About The Workshop
Grieving children and children of divorce, both in private practice and in the school setting, present some unique challenges to the therapist. Play therapy and group therapy provide appropriate models for these children.
Identifying symptoms of grief and developing appropriate interventions for these children is the focus of this presentation. Case examples of both school-based groups and individual interventions will be presented. Issues of working with caretakers will also be discussed.
Play therapy is an appropriate intervention for grieving children and children of divorce. Often the child is seen as not grieving and the parent or caretaker is often unable to relate to the needs of the child as he or she is dealing with his or her own grief and loss issues. With the child of divorce there may also be issues of guilt. In both cases there are primary and secondary losses.
Within the school, this child may have difficulty completing or focusing on tasks and may be disruptive or may move from a disruptive child to a quiet child. Either may signify psychological distress, thus the play therapist can provide a safe place for the child to express grief and process grief, divorce and change.
The attitude of acceptance of the child without evaluation is a significant part of this process. This is true for traumatic grief as well. Given the basic assumption that play is the child’s language, the toys become the vehicle for exploring the loss and processing the impact of the loss on the life of the child.
Through the group process, children can share and process grief. They may also find that they are not the only ones with this experience which may reduce concerns about their own reactions. Both group play therapy and expressive therapy techniques are useful with this population.
- 8am – 8:30am ~ Registration/Coffee
- 8:30am – 11:30am ~ Workshop Session
- 11:30am – 1pm ~ Lunch (on your own)
- 12:30pm – 1pm ~ Business Meeting (all encouraged to attend)
- 1pm – 4:30pm ~ Workshop Session
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the symptoms of grieving children and divorced children.
- Describe some of the play-related behaviors of grieving children and children of divorce.
- Describe at least two (2) assessment techniques for grieving children and children of divorce.
- List at least three (3) treatment goals for grieving and divorced children.
- List at least three (3) interventions with grieving children and children of divorce.
About The Presenter
Hilda R. Glazer has an Ed.D from Rutgers University in Educational Psychology and has an MS in Counseling from the University of North Texas in Denton, TX.
After holding a tenured position at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Hilda moved to Ohio.
She has held a number of academic positions including Dean of the School of Psychology at Walden University and chair of Educational Psychology at Capella University and is currently the Director of the Capella Center for the Study of Play Therapy.
She has a specialty in counseling grieving children and works with Mount Carmel Hospice in Columbus, OH and in her private practice on a part time basis. She is widely published and has presented in The United States and Europe on her work with children and her research in distance education.
Her most recent publications include a chapter on grieving children and one in press on using technology in play therapy.
- Seating is limited so register early.
- Spaces are not guaranteed until your registration is processed.
- Save $$ with Early Bird registration (via Online or Postal Mail registration).
- Registration is available Online, via Postal Mail and On-site
- Online Registration Payments are processed via PayPal. Click here to register.
- Please note: This is a secure process and does NOT require a PayPal account.
- For registration by Postal Mail: download, fill out, and send registration form and payment to the address provided on form. Click here to download mail-in Registration Form >>
- Check or money order only if registering by Postal Mail.
- Purchase Orders are not accepted.
- January 8, 2016 ~ Postal Mail registration must be postmarked by this date.
- January 11, 2016 (end of day, midnight) ~ Online Registration will be closed.
- January 15, 2016 ~ On-site Registration, participants can register at workshop location on the morning of.
Early Bird registration discount of $20 is applied to Online Registrations and Postal Mail registrations postmarked as specified (see Deadline Dates).
- AAPT/APT Member
- $120 ~ Early Bird Registration
- $140 ~ On-site Registration
- $150 ~ Early Bird Registration
- $170 ~ On-site Registration
- Full-time Students
- $95 ~ Early Bird Registration
- $115 ~ On-site Registration
- $10.00 discount, per registrant, for groups of 3 or more.
- Please specify if registering as a group and identify group members and affiliation.
- Group discount is available by Postal Mail or Online.
Volunteer Opportunities / Scholarships
Scholarships will be offered to full-time students who can be available Thursday evening and Friday prior to and during the conference.
Interested applicants may access the volunteer application on our website. For questions concerning this opportunity, contact Kathryn Blackwell:
Visitors to the church can park in the church parking lot. Watch for the AAPT signs which will guide you to the parking and entrance into the church.
Participants will have 1-hour and 30-minutes (1.5 hrs) for lunch, but we’d like for you to return in time for our business meeting. Information about places to eat will be provided at the workshop.
For special needs, contact Maura Pratt (Registration and CEU Coordinator):
- (334) 868-8290
Map & Driving Directions
Cancellation Policy & Refunds
Registrants canceling up to 48 hours before a workshop will receive a tuition refund less a $20 administrative fee, or if requested, a voucher good for one year for a future workshop.
All requests must be made in writing or by email. No refunds issued for any reason after date of workshop.
In the unlikely event the workshop cannot be held, registrants will receive complimentary admission to a rescheduled workshop or a full value voucher, good for one year, for a future workshop.
Six (6) Contact Hours will be provided for a full day of attendance. No certificate of attendance will be given before the workshop is completed. No partial credit will be awarded.
Alabama Association for Play Therapy (AAPT) has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6211. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Alabama Association for Play Therapy is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
AAPT is approved by the Association for Play Therapy (APT) to offer continuing education specific to Play Therapy. APT Approved Provider No. 98-045.
Marriage and Family Therapists
The Alabama Board of Examiners in Marriage and Family Therapy (ABEMFT) automatically approves courses that are NBCC approved for CEU credit.
The Alabama Association for Play Therapy (AAPT) is recognized by the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners (ABSWE) to offer continuing education for social workers. ASBSWE Provider No. 0284.
If you are interested in membership, please send a separate check made out to APT, along with your completed membership application, for dual membership in:
- APT (Association for Play Therapy Association, Inc.), and
- AAPT (Alabama Association for Play Therapy)
Membership applications and instructions are available online or from membership chairperson Stephanie Bales:
For GENERAL INQUIRIES about this workshop, contact Celeste Neil:
- (205) 541-5563
For REGISTRATION QUESTIONS, contact Maura Pratt:
- (334) 868-8290