AAPT is sponsoring a workshop by Franc Hudspeth on January 30, 2015 titled, “Play Therapy with Medicated Children & Adolescents”. Register now!
Online registration has been closed. If you still wish to attend, we welcome you to register on-site on the morning of the workshop. Thank you and see you there!
Registration Dates, Deadlines & Fees
Volunteer Opportunities & Scholarships
Map, Parking, Lunch & Special Needs
Continuing Education & AAPT Membership
Play Therapy with Medicated Children and Adolescents: Teaching Play Therapists about Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology
Edward Franc Hudspeth, PhD, NCC, LPC, RPh, RPT-S, ACS (see “About the Presenter” below)
Friday, January 30, 2015
LocationVestavia Hills Baptist Church
2600 Vestavia Drive
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216 Return to top
About The Workshop
From a gate keeping and ethical standpoint, it is important to consider the impact of medication on children and adolescents as they may impact play behaviors during a routine play session.
As advocates for children and adolescents, Play Therapists must wear many hats. In an attempt to educate ourselves and become well-rounded therapists, we may find many works specifically indicating how medication s benefit during the therapeutic process (Green, 2006; Preston, O’Neal, & Talaga, 2010); however, few offer sound information about how medications can negatively impact the therapeutic process.
Practitioners may find the information, but because of its technical nature have a difficult time putting the material to use. To improve this process we need a basic understanding of neurobiology, neurotransmitters, and brain functioning (Martin, Scahill, & Kratochvil, 2010) to be able to conceptualize the medicated child or adolescent.
The intent of this presentation is to demystify and simplify the vast subject of psychopharmacology and begin to educate Play Therapists in a way to utilize the benefits produced by medication as well as be able to compensate for side effects with appropriate Play Therapy techniques.
- 8:00am ~ 8:30am – Registration/Coffee
- 8:30am ~ 11:30am – Morning Session
- 11:30am ~ 1:00pm – Lunch (on your own)
- 12:30am ~ 1:00pm – Business Meeting (all encouraged to attend)
- 1:00pm ~ 4:30pm – Afternoon Session
This workshop will provide Play Therapists with an understanding of neurobiology and psychopharmacology in children and adolescents.
It will also provide ways to utilize Play Therapy to meet the unique needs of medicated children and adolescents in Play Therapy.
The goals of this workshop include:
- Discuss basic neurobiology, neurotransmitters and brain functioning
- Identify different medications and their mechanisms of action
- Discuss the interaction of neurobiology, medication and Play Therapy
- Identify how beneficial effects of medication may facilitate Play Therapy
- Utilize Play Therapy techniques to compensate for the side effects of medications
- Develop an individualized Play Therapy plan for each medicated child
About The Presenter
Franc is an Assistant Professor of Counselor Education, Director of the Institute for Play Therapy and CACREP coordinator at Henderson State University, in Arkadelphia, AR.
He is the Editor of the International Journal of Play Therapy and an editorial board member for the Journal of Creativity in Mental Health. Franc serves as co-chair of the Association for Play Therapy’s Public Awareness Taskforce, vice-chair of APT’s Foundation Board of Directors, and as a member of APT’s Directors Nominations, Conference Program, and Key Awards committees.
He is also the current president of the Arkansas Association for Play Therapy.
Franc received his Ph.D. from The University of Mississippi in 2009. He has been a Pharmacist since 1989, a Mississippi Licensed Professional Counselor since 2004, Registered Play Therapist Supervisor and a nationally Approved Clinical Supervisor since 2007.
His research interests include Play Therapy applications to Disruptive Behavior and Attachment Disorders.
Seating is limited so register early. Early-bird registrants receive a $20 discount!
- Spaces are not guaranteed until your registration is processed.
- You can register on this website with a credit card, or mail-in payment and registration form via the Postal Service.
- Online registration and payments are processed via PayPal. Click here to register.
- Please note: This is a secure process and does NOT require a PayPal account.
- For registration by postal mail (snail mail): download, fill out, and send registration form and payment to the address provided on form. Click here to download mail-in Registration Form >>
- Check or money order only if registering by postal mail.
- Purchase Orders are not accepted.
- Early Bird Registration (receive $20 discount)
- Mail in registration must be postmarked by January 14, 2015 to receive discount
- Online Registration deadline is January 18, 2015 to receive discount. Online Registration is closed after this date.
- On-site Registration (no discounts apply)
- Participants can register at workshop location on the morning of January 30, 2015
- AAPT/APT Member
- $120 ~ Early Bird Registration (see deadline dates above)
- $140 ~ On-site Registration
- $150 ~ Early Bird Registration (see deadline dates above)
- $170 ~ On-site Registration
- Full-time Students
- $95 ~Early Bird Registration (see deadline dates above)
- $115 ~ On-site Registration
$10.00 discount, per registrant, for groups of 3 or more registering together.
Please specify if registering as a group and identify group members and affiliation.
Group registration is easier by postal mail but you can register groups online by using PayPal. However, you MUST use the accompanying text fields to specify the names of each registrant to avoid confusion.
Volunteer Opportunities / Scholarships
Scholarships will be offered to full-time students who can be available Thursday evening and Friday prior to and during the conference.
Interested applicants may access the volunteer application on our website. For questions concerning this opportunity, contact Kathryn Blackwell:
Attendees can park in the Church parking lot. Watch for the AAPT signs which will guide you to parking and entrance into the church building.
Participants will have one and a half hours for lunch, but we’d like for you to return in time for our business meeting. Information about places to eat will be provided at the workshop.
For assistance, contact Maura Pratt (Registration and CEU Coordinator):
- (334) 358-2455
Map & Driving Directions
The conference will be held at Vestavia Hills Baptist Church, 2600 Vestavia Drive; Vestavia Hills, AL 35216.
Return to top
Cancellation Policy & Refunds
Registrants canceling up to 48 hours before a workshop will receive a tuition refund less a $20 administrative fee, or if requested, a voucher good for one year for a future workshop.
All requests must be made in writing or by email. No refunds issued for any reason after January 20, 2015.
In the unlikely event the workshop cannot be held, registrants will receive complimentary admission to a rescheduled workshop or a full value voucher, good for one year, for a future workshop.
Six (6) Contact Hours will be awarded for full day of attendance. No partial credit will be awarded.
The Alabama Association for Play Therapy (AAPT) is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP is solely responsible for all aspects of the program. AAPT Approved Provider No. 98-045
Marriage and Family Therapists
The ABEMFT automatically approves courses that are NBCC approved for CEU credit.
The Alabama Association for Play Therapy (AAPT) ) is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program. NBCC Provider No. 6211.
The Alabama Association for Play Therapy (AAPT) is recognized by the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners to offer continuing education for social workers. AAPT adheres to Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners continuing education guidelines. ASBSWE Provider No. 0284.
If you are interested in membership, please send a separate check made out to APT for dual membership in APT (Association for Play Therapy Association, Inc.) and AAPT (Alabama Association for Play Therapy) along with your completed membership application.
Membership applications and instructions are available online or from membership chairman Stephanie Bales:
For GENERAL INQUIRIES about this workshop, contact Laura Brown:
- (334) 358-8027
For REGISTRATION QUESTIONS, contact Maura Pratt:
- (334) 868-8290